Browse Related Projects
Henry Vilas ZooSee More
Phoenix ZooSee More
This 9 story example of pre-victorian architecture was originally built in 1912 as the Rorabaugh-Wiley Building. The first four floors housed a department store and the upper floors were a dedicated office building with a separate ground floor lobby and elevators. Operation of the department store ceased in the 60’s and the office portion closed in the 80’s. The building sat vacant until purchased by Manske and Associates in 2013. The building has been converted to offer approximately 10,000 s.f. of commercial space and a leasing office on the ground floor with 72 apartments spread over the floors above. Financing of the construction was made possible through historic tax credits and housing tax credits.
Restoration included replacement of all glazing systems with new, thermally efficient windows in configurations that reflected the profiles of the original windows. Exterior terra cotta panels were repaired and in some cases reproduced to restore the historic appearance of the original building. The extended (original) decorative cornice had been removed at some period, but was restored from original documentation.
The Wiley building has been recognized by the Kansas Preservation Alliance with a Merit Award for outstanding preservation work.